S4/ 8843 Three Way Tipper
Built in 1933
John Goold and Family
new to H.A.L. Price, Dawley, Shrops. in October 1933 as a 3 way tipper complete
with a 3 way tipping trailer. Its main role was to deliver coal to the Sentinel
Waggon Works. The trailer only lasted 2 weeks before being returned to the
works due to difficulties manoeuvring it to tip. The waggon was then sold
to quarry owner H.V. Bowen of Newtown, Wales. It was extensively used to haul
aggregate until 1942 when it was taken off the road. Over the next 20 years
the waggon stood idle in their yard where it was stripped for spares.
In 1977 the derelict chassis was purchased by present owners and fully restored and rebuilt as a timber tractor. The waggon remained in this guise for the next 25 years, where after further research and treasure hunting in the original Bowen yard, the remnants of the tipping frame was found. In 2003 work started on the complete renovation of the waggon to restore it back to its original body style of a working 3 way tipper, of which it remains today.